I have had several people ask me lately what our greatest needs are. As Fall rolls around and school, classes, Bible studies, small groups, etc. are all beginning to meet again, people are looking for a way to help. I have put together a small list of our most current needs. Please take a look and see what your groups, churches, classes, or family might want to get involved in this year! Every dollar TRULY makes a difference!
- Help Feed Kids at HOPE House
- $1 per meal +3 meals per day = $3 per day
For example, $200 would feed Pierreline for 66 days. This would be a great fundraiser for children! Individual children, groups, or classes could choose a child from HOPE House that they would like to raise money for. We will provide you with pictures of each child and a little story about their life so your children can learn about children in Haiti and specifically pray for them. Or, you could have a class or children's church see how many total meals they can feed the children at HOPE House. These are very nutritious meals! (The same meals we feed our American mission teams.)
- Help Ship a Playground to HOPE House
- $1,000 from Grand Rapids, MI to Port-au-Prince, Haiti
Again, this might be a great fundraiser for younger or older children. At your church or school you could post a large map tracing the route our container will make on its way to Haiti. As the money comes in, the container can keep moving down the map until it reaches Port-au-Prince! We will be happy to provide you with picture of the container, and the playground once it reaches Haiti!
- Host a Diaper Drive
- Disposable and cloth diapers (all sizes), wipes, shampoo, lotion, and powder
- HOPE House goes through a lot of diapers! Within the next year we hope to increase our capacity from 8 infants and toddlers to 20 infants and toddlers! Each child typically goes through 5-6 diapers per day! .....You do the math! We use both cloth and disposable. We love to use cloth with rubber pants on a day to day basis, but the disposables are nice for traveling and for smaller babies who can't keep the cloth diapers on very well. (Some of our babies come to us between 3-5lbs.) We need all sizes of diapers, but we use sizes 1, 2, and 3 the most!
GIFT OF HOPE
- Help Us Sell Our Haitian Made Products!
- We can only employee as many women as we can sell products for! This is a crucial part of the program. Journals and jewelry are available for sale; summer skirts and purses coming soon! Consider having a Gift of HOPE party in your home! We will supply you with product, pictures and information on the ladies who made the items, and a cultural lesson on Haiti.
- Donate Supplies
- There are some supplies the ladies at Gift of Hope use that are not easily purchased in Haiti. We are always in need of the following items: Composition notebooks, Mod Podge glue, standard sized colored cardstock, decorative scrapbook paper and embellishments, and Elmer's glue.
LES BOURS SCHOOL OF HOPE
- Help Finish the Kitchen
- After the earthquake crumbled the walls of our kitchen, we are in need of funding to get our kitchen in working order! We currently have $2,000 raised for the kitchen and we are in need of $4,000 more. Here is the breakdown of our needs:
- $1,600 - 2 ovens
- $1,400 - bowls, spoons, cooking pots, pans, knives, cups, etc. (for over 200 students)
- $1,000 - counter top and table for preparing foods and a sink for washing dishes
CLINIC OF HOPE
- Pay a Year's Rent For Our New Clinic
- $500 - We have a new clinic located between the two tent cities we have adopted since the earthquake. It is a two room house shared with one of our Haitian nurses. It is very accessible to the community, safe for our medical teams to travel to and volunteer in. At this location, over 100 are receiving Depo-Provera birth control and patients from the tent cities are seen on a daily basis.
- Medications Needed
- Our medical mission teams are in constant need of medications to bring with them on their trips. Our most crucial needs right now are: vitamins with iron (children's and adults), chest rub for congestion, and feminine wash. We also need: children's pain reliever/fever reducer, ant-acids, children's cough and cold, anti-fungal cream, triple antibiotic cream, hydrocortisone, tylenol, and ibuprofen.
Please take time to pray over this list and listen to hear if God is calling you to help in any of the above ways. People in Haiti are desperate and have so many needs. Each of these needs listed above will help create a healthier, happier, and more independent Haiti! You could be the reason for a smile on a child's face! You could be the reason they go to bed with their bellies full! You could be the answer to their prayers!
All donations are tax-deductible and should be sent to: Haiti Foundation Against Poverty, PO Box 120105, Grand Rapids, MI 49528.
For more information about our organization or any of these programs please visit our website: www.haitipoverty.org or contact us at email@example.com.
"Religion that Father God accepts as pure and faultless is this; to look after orphans and widows in their distress, and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world." - James 1:27